Green before Green was In!
Since opening in February 1975, Irregardless Café & Catering has been serious about its ecological footprint. Below are the business practices in place making a positive impact on the environment.
Irregardless Café has been a leader in Environmental Sustainable Practices:
- The Café was built using recycled materials, and after the 1994 fire designed new building to recycle original materials
- 10 solar thermal panels to heat water needed to operate the business
- Water conservation with low flush toilets and well maintained sinks
- Recycled cardboard, glass, metal, plastic and printer cartridges decades before mandated by the City
- Composts coffee grinds and pre-consumer kitchen scraps at the Well Fed Community Garden
- Recycle cooking oil weekly
- Grow organic produce at Irregardless’ urban agriculture venture: The Well Fed Community Garden, purchase from local farmers and at farmers markets
- Fair traded, shade grown, locally roasted coffee
- Regular donor of leftover foods to homeless shelters
- Minimize pollution by purchasing bulk and reusable products
- Use biodegradable, post consumer recycled, and chlorine free disposable paper products
- Only energy efficient light bulbs throughout
- Keep all vans tuned-up and tires full to improve fuel economy